The turmeric latte (sometimes referred to as a golden latte or golden milk) originated in India but has become hugely popular all over the world thanks to its delicious taste and countless health benefits. It is the perfect immune-boosting hot drink for anyone seeking a healthier alternative to their usual tea or coffee.
As the name suggests, the key ingredient found in the drink is turmeric which has numerous health benefits such as:
- Antioxidant properties for healthy cell function and reduced risk of infection
- Anti-inflammatory properties for healthy joints and reduced risk of heart disease and other chronic illnesses
- Improved brain function and memory
- Improved digestion
To name just a few! Plus, a turmeric latte also includes the additional health benefits of ginger, cinnamon & milk. This recipe is super-easy to make and was sourced via the BBC Good Foods website.
- 350ml plant milk, we would suggest oat for an extra-creamy consistency or almond for a lighter-style latte
- ¼ tsp of ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp of ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp of ground ginger
- ½ tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of maple syrup or honey
- Sprinkling of black pepper
Mix all of the ingredients with the milk in a saucepan on a low heat and whisk continuously to blend together. An electronic milk frother or velvetiser would also work just as well. Simmer for around 10 mins and once the temperature is satisfactory, pour into a mug, sprinkle cinnamon on top and enjoy!
The combination of these ingredients provide many antibacterial and antiviral properties which can protect your body from risk of infection, making it the perfect choice in winter months when colds and flus are rife (as well as COVID-19 and other respiratory infections).
If you haven’t tried one before, now is the perfect time to create your own turmeric latte using this recipe and see what all the fuss is about!